SportsNation Blog Archives Matt Ryan
Are Jets for real? Are Falcons done?
That was unexpected. Sure, the New York Jets entered "Monday Night Football" with a better record than the host Atlanta Falcons, but ... come on. These were the Falcons, they of a 13-3 record a season ago and, you know, a real quarterback. But wait -- rookie Geno Smith and Rex Ryan's crew outplayed Matt Ryan & Co. in a 30-28 last-second win. Now Atlanta is 1-4 and really on the outside of things. The Jets? They're 3-2, and -- dare we say it? -- hanging around the (early) playoff hunt.
Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
NFC South Preview -- 2013
For several years in the NFC South, it's been a back-and-forth battle between the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints, with last season's bout firmly landing in the Falcons' corner (those bounty scandal suspensions certainly didn't help the Saints). Now New Orleans is looking to rebound, Atlanta aims to take that next step (read: the Super Bowl) and those "other" two teams -- the Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- hope to break into the postseason.
Falcons, Ryan finalize extension
This just in: Quarterbacks are valuable. Or so say several teams this offseason. The latest: the Atlanta Falcons, who on Wednesday, sources say, finalized a five-year, $103.75 million deal that includes $59 million guaranteed. This seems like a good value for the Falcons; quarterbacks, you know, matter, and Ryan just led Atlanta to the NFC Championship Game. Then again, he hasn't taken them any farther ...
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com
We may not have the Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning matchup in the AFC Championship Game much of SportsNation wanted to see, but both championship games are loaded with talent. Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez are hoping to end their careers on top, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is two games away from winning a Super Bowl in his 10th career start, and Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan's 0-for-3 record in the playoffs is history after a thrilling 30-28 victory over the Seahawks. How do the best players remaining in the NFL playoffs stack up? Click the images to vote.
Super Bowl XLVII players
John Abraham, Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez, Julio Jones, Tom Brady, Stevan Ridley, Wes Welker, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Lloyd, Danny Woodhead, Colin Kaepernick, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Ray Lewis, Dennis Pitta
Who are the Atlanta Falcons?
Some experts picked the Falcons as a Super Bowl contender this season, but a 24-2 loss against the Giants means Mike Smith and Matt Ryan are now 0-3 in the playoffs.
What's the verdict on Matt Ryan?
Ryan finished the regular season with the NFL's eighth-best passer rating, the third time in his four pro seasons he's been in the top 11.
Is Mike Smith too aggressive?
Mike Smith didn't let a fourth-down failure against the Saints earlier this season stop him from going twice in Sunday's game, once in easy field goal range with his team down 10-2.
Falcons, Panthers or Buccaneers?
The Saints are ahead of the Falcons at the moment, so we'll set them aside in the NFC South. But does Cam Newton give the Panthers the edge on the Falcons moving forward?
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATSMonday, December 9Wednesday, December 11
Thursday, December 12
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
Friday, December 13
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
BEST OF THE BEST
Heat vs. Pacers?
Which team has a better shot at making the NBA Finals -- the Heat, or the Pacers? Vote! »